Castello Monticelli is composed of 8 listed buildings located on top of a hill, 3 of which are military towers with stone walls of up to 1,60 meters thickness. These 3 towers date back to the end of the 6th century AD and they were part of a large fortress built by the Eastern Roman Empire in 593-5 to defend the city of Perugia and the Byzantine Corridor form the Longobards. The latter are a Scadinavian-Northern German tribe which invaded Italy in 568 and occupied within a short time 80% of the country. The Byzantine corridor was a narrow strip of land linking Rome to Ravenna which the Byzantines managed to keep under their control from 570 to 774.
Castello Monticelli was built by the Eastern Roman Empire 40 meters from the border with the Longobards on the top of a lovely and green hill with a beautiful 360 degees view all around. One sees at a 15 km. distance the Etruscan city of Perugia, now the capital of Umbria, at a 30 km distance Monte Subasio, the mountain behind Assisi, the religious capital of Italy and at a distance of 60 km. Monte Amiata, the highest mountain of Southern Tuscany. At least other 15 medieval hamlets and listed buildings are also visible.
When in 774 Charles the Great defeated the Longobards, the fortress of Monticelli lost its military function and it became not immediately a Benedictine monastery. In about 1470 it was bought by a family of counts and transformed into their private summer and hunting resdence. The buildings of Castello Monticelli could last for so long because their walls are so thick and solid and because their use was cleverly changed when Italy underwent big military, political or social changes. In the course of its long history Castello Monticelli was also used as a farm (1920-60) and as a prison (WWI and WWII).